The Wise Law Library subscribes annually to Bloomberg Law, LexisNexis, and Westlaw legal research systems. Our academic law school licenses provide access to most, but not all, content on these systems.
Obtaining Passwords and Activation Codes
- Current full-time and part-time law faculty, staff, and students are eligible for personal logons on Bloomberg Law, LexisNexis, and Westlaw.
- Current adjunct and visiting law faculty are also eligible for personal logons if they are currently teaching courses in the law school curriculum. Visiting scholars who are invited by the law school to conduct research on-site may be eligible for logons.
- UC-Boulder faculty, staff, and students are ineligible for Westlaw and LexisNexis passwords under the terms of the law library’s licenses.
- Non-law students who are currently enrolled in law school courses using TWEN or LexisNexis course web systems may obtain temporary logons at the library reference desk during hours of operation.
Law faculty and staff may request access to these systems through Jane Thompson, Assistant Director for Faculty Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Registering Passwords and Activation Codes
Westlaw passwords and Bloomberg Law and LexisNexis activation codes may be deactivated by the vendors if they are not registered online within 30 days of issuance. Users must register using their colorado.edu email addresses.
- Westlaw: Obtain personal password from Jane Thompson and register online at http://lawschool.westlaw.com (link for "register password now"). You will be required to enter your Westlaw ID and create a custom username and password, although you may continue to use your Westlaw ID to sign on to Westlaw.
- Bloomberg Law: Go to http://www.bloomberglaw.com/activate, enter personal information (not an activation code), and click on Submit.
- LexisNexis: Obtain our law school's activation code and register online at http://register.lexisnexis.com/lawschool . You will be required to create a custom ID and password, which replaces the activation code.
Law School Research
Westlaw for Law Schools is accessible online at: http://lawschool.westlaw.com . Sign on and click on the Research Tab. User guides are available online at: http://legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/product-support/user-guides/ .
Lexis for Law Schools is accessible online at: http://www.lexis.com/lawschool . Sign on and click on Go to Lexis Advance. User guides are available under the Support tab.
Law faculty and staff may contact Jane Thompson, Assistant Director for Faculty Services, at email@example.com at any time to request a training session on Westlaw or Lexis, which may be conducted by Jane or a vendor representative. Faculty/staff luncheon updates on Westlaw/TWEN and Lexis are scheduled once or twice a year. Training sessions for faculty research assistants are held in May. Online tutorials are available on both systems.